The most important thing is your safety and the safety of your children. Don’t hesitate to call us and discuss your situation if you’re needing support or accommodation or need to leave your current home.

Who can stay in Bonnie’s accommodation?

Bonnie’s provides crisis accommodation and is also a Community Housing provider. We care for:

  • Women and their children who are homeless, at risk of homelessness or escaping domestic or family violence.
  • Women over 18 years of age.
  • In need of crisis accommodation.
  • Women 8 months+ pregnant and meeting the above criteria.

Where are Bonnie’s refuges?

The location of the refuges is confidential. When you call us on 02 9729 0939 you will be given instructions on accessing the refuge.

Will we have our own space?

Women share their own bedroom with their children. We have two crisis refuges and each one can accommodate 4 women and their children depending on the age, sex and number of children. We have shared living spaces, dining room, kitchen, and a play/learning area for young children. We also have one family room available which is accessible for people with a disability.

Can I bring my children to the refuge?

We welcome females of any age and sons under 16 years in the crisis accommodation. If accommodation is required and the crisis refuge is not suitable or available, we may be able to assist with alternatives in transitional housing. Older boys can be placed with their families in transitional housing.

Can my children go to school while I’m staying at the refuge? Can they continue to go their own school?

You will want to keep as much consistency as you can for your children and we can help with that. Depending on your circumstances, they might continue in their present school or join a local school or daycare centre. If your children need to be enrolled in a new school a Family Worker will provide assistance. We may be able to assist with school uniforms if required.

Do you have extra clothing for me and my children?

We can assist with clothing, toiletries, bedlinen and other essential items that you require. If required we can assist you to organise a recovery order from the police.

Can I bring my pets to Bonnie’s?

Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate pets. We will try to help you by suggesting alternatives to look after your pets in the meantime.

Will anyone know that I’m staying there?

Confidentiality and safety are our highest priorities. We do not disclose the identities of people using our services without consent. The locations of our refuges are kept confidential too.

If you use a smartphone and social media like Facebook, you will need to turn off location services. This protects everyone at the refuge.

It is very important that the location remain confidential. When you decide to leave please call us and we will direct you or assist you to be safe with your phone and other electronic devices so that you cannot be tracked

What other services do you provide apart from crisis accommodation?

  • We provide early intervention support around domestic and family violence.
  • We can provide support if you are at risk of homelessness.
  • We may be able to assist you with brokerage, in line with a case plan.
  • We have transitional housing, available for up to twelve months.

What do I need to bring with me?

Please bring as much of the following checklist as you can. It will help us too, but if you can’t locate items, don’t let that stop you from contacting us. Remember your safety is the most important thing. Here’s a checklist of items you may want to take with you when you leave.

Do I have to pay?

Cost in based on your income, e.g. a Centrelink benefit or wages; however if you are ineligible for benefits or not working, clients may be accommodated depending on the service’s capacity at the time and each family’s ability to pay.

Do I need a referral from someone for your accommodation services? Who?

No, this is not needed – a self-referral is accepted. We also accept referrals from another service, a friend or family member, the DV Line, Link2Home, the police, charities, doctors and hospitals.

What happens if there is no room in the refuges when I apply?

You would be referred to other appropriate services with vacancies or to Link2home or the Domestic Violence Line. We may be able to assist you with alternatives such as short term accommodation

How long do women and children stay at Bonnie’s?

The average stay is up to 3 months. Some families stay longer. You can stay with us and we will assist you to find safe, secure, affordable and adequate housing. As a Community Housing provider we may also be able to assist you with transitional housing, independent of the refuge accommodation, for up to 12 months

I don’t speak English or English is not my first language. Can you still assist me?

Yes, we have a number of bi-lingual workers and if they don’t speak your first language, we will use interpreters.

I am not an Australian resident and/or my visa does not allow me to work in Australia; are you still able to assist me?

Yes, please call us and we will discuss your situation. These circumstances don’t exclude you from using Bonnie’s services.

I have to attend court; is that OK and will someone be able to assist me if I need support?

Yes, that is OK. We’ll show you what to do and what is expected of you. A Family Worker can go with you to court or your court related meetings and we can refer you to the Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Scheme if required.